Wildlife Conservation Society: Program Officer, Vietnam
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is an international non-governmental organization that saves wildlife and wild places through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature. WCS has been working to address forest crimes in Vietnam since 2005. Since, we have established a well-respected presence in the country, generated a wide range of reliable data on the wildlife trade, trained over 850 law enforcement officers from a range of agencies in investigation and enforcement techniques, and distributed a number of technical handbooks and guides. We have assisted central agencies to review and propose intelligence analysis systems, inter-agency agreements and cooperation, national
legislation, and have supported bi-lateral dialogues to suppress the wildlife trade and strengthen Vietnam’s enforcement response.
Scope of work:
Under the direct supervision of the Field Program Coordinator, the Program Officer is responsible to provide
technical oversight of programme management and implement activities from assigned grants. S/he also
participates in the formulation, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of program activities.
The Program Officer works in conjunction with other team members to execute assigned works in the
following fields to ensure the program and projects function smoothly and at maximum effectiveness:
- Identify, and build and maintain relationships with key contacts and strategic partners for policy and
- Carry out field and desk research/reviews into the dynamics of wildlife trade, law enforcement in
Vietnam and provide realistic and practical recommendations for improvements
- Support to develop and institutionalize wildlife trafficking training modules into relevant
- Provide technical inputs into development and implementation of grant activities in the Southern Viet
- Facilitate inter-agency and inter-governmental enforcement cooperation
- Draft and contribute to grant’s work plans, activity reports and all other related reports
- Establish and maintain partnerships with key government agencies at central and provincial levels in VietNam, research/academic institutions, CSOs, NGOs and individuals relating to wildlife law enforcement.
- Provide inputs to fundraising efforts relating to species, investigation and law enforcement.
- Identify communication opportunities and strategy to raise awareness about wildlife trade prevention
- Execute project activities in Southern grants as outlined in the workplan
- Provide interpretation and written translation of program activities
- Represent WCS at relevant networks, workshops, and meetings as requested
- Perform other duties as requested by senior management
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- A bachelor’s degree in conservation, biodiversity, biology or related field; a masters’ degree will be an
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience as project/programme officer; previous experience in the
conservation/environmental sector would be an asset
- Knowledge of Viet Nam law enforcement systems and legislation desirable; Experience in working with
Government Ministries and Law Enforcement agencies is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and work well under pressure
- Strong critical thinking skills, ability to problem solve and resourcefulness
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based
- Fluency in English and Vietnamese language
Schedule and Compensation
Salary grades are commensurate with experience and education. Benefits include private health insurance
for staff and dependant(s), a 13th month salary and 20 annual-leave days.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, CV with photo, contact details for references to:
Ms. Nguyen Thi Thu My – HR Officer
Wildlife Conservation Society, Room 1302, Thanh Cong Tower, 57 Lang Ha street, Ha Noi.