Wildlife Protection Volunteer
Get involved: join our National Wildlife Protection Network of volunteers!
If you live or work in Vietnam, you can help stamp out wildlife crime by joining ENV’s National Wildlife Protection Network.
Our volunteer network was established in 2007, and today it contains nearly 4,000 volunteers throughout the country (October 2013). Volunteers are our eyes and ears out in the field, and actively assist ENV to protect wildlife by reporting wildlife crimes, monitoring businesses in their home area, and encouraging others to get involved.
Thanks to our volunteers, many restaurants have stopped selling wildlife, smugglers have been punished, and hundreds of animals have been rescued from the trade!
What our Wildlife Volunteers do:
Report wildlife crimes
Call ENV’s national toll-free Wildlife Crime Hotline 1800 1522 to report a crime in Vietnam. Examples of violations to report include:
- A restaurant advertising wildlife on their menu or on a sign;
- Bears or other wildlife species in captivity;
- Animals displayed in cages at a hotel or outside a business;
- A shipment of wildlife being transported on a bus, train, or airplane;
- A fisherman keeping a marine turtle;
- Wild animals or meat for sale at a market.
Help ENV monitor known wildlife trade hotspots
ENV maintains a database of businesses that have a history of selling, displaying, possessing, or advertising wildlife. Many of these businesses are now in compliance with the law; however, frequent checks help us ensure that they remain compliant.
Encourage others to join the network
With more public involvement, we can bring an end to wildlife crime in Vietnam. Get others involved!
You can also participate in other ENV awareness activities in your area. Active volunteers may wish to become more involved in activities such as increasing local awareness about protecting wildlife or conducting surveys with ENV Wildlife Crime Unit staff.
Volunteers will receive regular email updates including:
- Updates of new laws, copies of the ENV Wildlife Crime Bulletin, and other wildlife trade news.
- Information about successful cases resulting from the efforts of wildlife volunteers.
To join us and lend a hand to Vietnam’s endangered wildlife send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.